04 July 2006

Hey, they have the 4th of July here, too!

Allow me to vent for a moment, as I am now nursing a bruise on my back from getting caught between a shoplifter and a store security agent. I don't know whether the thief or the guard knocked me aside, but rest assured, it did not feel good. To make matters worse, the kid got away! I was so disappointed. I guess the security guard just ran out of steam because he gave up the chase fairly quickly. If it's any consolation, the shoplifter couldn't have gotten away with much, given that he was in a grocery store and the small items that he could have tucked into his pockets aren't really worth much. What was worth the risk of getting caught, I wonder? Batteries? A packet of pencils? What a waste of everyone's time, not to mention my back.

Other than that little dash of excitement, today has been a dull, albeit hot, day. I've pretty much hid indoors with the dog and tried not to move out of the fan's line of fire. Couple the weather with a headache that just won't go away, and you have a complete picture of how fantastic my 4th is going! Actually, it's not that bad. I finally broke down and bought a bottle of Coke, which I am now enjoying "on the rocks" as a way to cool down and fight the headache. Yes, I said "on the rocks" -- I made ice. There, I said it, I made ice! Call it a celebration of American civil liberties. I don't have to be an ice-hating European if I don't want to be. (Cue Stars and Stripes Forever here.) I'm also observing independence right now, since Colin is in Scotland for a conference. Lucky guy: this morning, he was lamenting the fact that he forgot to bring a jacket!

Anyway, happy birthday, USA! I'll be back to see you again in just over two weeks.

*************************************************************

Postscript -- I went hunting for something to make me laugh. Hence, I give you the quote of the day, complements of Jack Black:

"You must never underestimate the power of the eyebrow."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home