14 March 2006

Through the looking glass

I mailed the job application today, so here's hoping that there is an interview in my future! (And here's hoping that the resulting extra plane ticket and car rental in Michigan won't be too terrible.) Keep your fingers crossed for me on both accounts.

On a less-than-stellar note, we are now on day two of no elevator. For the next six weeks, our building's elevator is being renovated. Colin jokingly said that, at the end of the six weeks, we'll probably have the exact same ricketey old elevator, except that it will have new carpet in it. I laughed, but then I realized that it could come true, so I sobered up really fast. Anyway, you wouldn't think that losing an elevator would be that big of a deal, but it sure makes a difference when you need to haul groceries up 5 flights of stairs! Instead of a weekly trip, I have to go every two days or so because I can't carry much more than that. Ugh.

Other than that, life is good around here, albeit quiet. The weather was great today - not a cloud in the sky - so Didge and I went for a walk (the picture above shows part of where we went in the Cité Universitaire). OK, I walked, he RAN. I think this must be a dog's favorite time of year because I see them all act the same way once the weather starts to get warm again: they want to run around with a crazed look in their eyes, and nearly hang themselves on their collars and leashes in the process. I guess they feel like they had been locked up all winter.

On a more philosophical note, have you ever looked in the mirror and hardly recognized yourself? I used to have that experience all the time when I was in college, or when I was going through a particularly stressful time at work. I'd look into my eyes, and the "spark" was completely gone, suppressed by lack of sleep, poor nutrition, or just general stress. It's a strange feeling, like you've forgotton what life was like when you were truly happy and doing the things that you loved.

Well, I looked in the mirror today, and I really saw myself for the first time in a long, long time. As it turns out, months of rest and exploration have been an amazing form of rejuvenation for me. For the first time in years, I have real clarity about who I am and who I want to be. I know I'm going to miss my largely carefree existence here when it's time to go, but I feel like the benefits are going to stay with me for the rest of my life.

Maybe this little diatribe seems a little cheesy. So what if it is? I don't care. I'm just glad to see my old friend on the other side of the glass again. I hope she sticks around for a good long time!

1 Comments:

At 15/3/06 06:59, Blogger Katrina said...

Good for you Amy! I'm happy for you! I know it's not at all the same thing, but I had a similar experience during my 3-month maternity leave. It's like life finally gives you a chance to breathe and you suddenly remember what it is in life that's worth breathing for! :) When do you guys head back? I was so jealous when I saw the photo of where you walked with Didgie-Donut. I can't imagine falling out my front door to such magnificence every morning! Lucky you!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home