02 February 2006

See-through underwear probably isn't very warm

I've recently been on the hunt for some new undergarments. This is one of my absolute least favorite activities, mostly because it's all so blasted expensive. Additionally, trying this stuff on in the winter isn't exactly my cup of tea. (I much prefer 20 degrees celsius to 20 degrees farenheit.) But, with les soldes looming all around me, I figured now was as good a time as ever to save a little money on one of the more annoying accessories that goes along with being female.

I scouted out the vitrines of various stores, biding my time until I finally found a place that I liked. Fortunately, it materialized in the form of Darjeeling Lingerie, a chain store with a branch on the Rue d'Alésia. (Admittedly, this store largely got my business because they have the heat cranked way up.) Yet even though I begrudgingly made my purchases a couple of weeks ago, I can't seem to shake the habit of looking in the lingerie store windows around town. This ongoing research has led to the following realization: Parisian women do not like underwear that conceals their assets.

I find this possible fact to be a bit mind-boggling. Aren't there any women in Paris who want at least one measly pair of granny-esque panties? Surely there is someone besides me who wants a pair of underwear with a backside that either A) consists of more than one thread and/or B) uses fabric that isn't 100% see-through. It's not that I'm fundamentally opposed to "sexy" underwear, but it isn't always the most comfortable option out there. Besides, where's the mystery, nay the excitement, when the guy can already see the full package before the underwear comes off?

Far more disturbing: what do the Parisian grannies wear?

Oh wait. I forgot about the outdoor bins in front of the local bazars. There you have it: the bazars have the corner on the granny panty market in Paris. What a choice: pay a fortune for a scrap of fabric, or go cheap by pawing through a bin on the side of the road.

2 Comments:

At 2/2/06 21:51, Blogger Fernando Velásquez said...

One of the most recurrent complaints of my female friends about the States has always been related to how big and uncomfortable American female underwear is and how difficult is to find something in between grannies' bags and brazilianesque thongs. I know that I'm probably adding to the confusion with this comment, but it's amazing how those memories came back immediatly after reading your post, Amy! I've spent so much time listening to Mariana (my best friend) ranting about this issue...

 
At 3/2/06 20:27, Blogger Andy Noverr said...

France - home of great bread, wonderful cheese, incredible wines and skimpy underwear. I was born in the wrong country!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home