10 February 2006

Les Jeux Olympiques -- En direct!

I know, it's a weird thing to be geeked about this, but I had a lot of fun watching the opening ceremonies *live* on TV tonight. In the US, we almost always have to watch it on tape delay (a fact that isn't made very clear by the networks at the time). Plus, they are "just down the road" in Italy, so it's fun to be on the same continent. I don't know why. It just is.

So, since many of you are just leaving work, I know you haven't seen coverage yet. In that case, let me ruin it for you!! Just kidding. I think the part most worth watching is the lighting of the torch. When it is actually done, the fireworks are pretty cool. Later, Luciano Pavarotti sings "Nessun dorma" (a gorgeous aria by Puccini) that literally gave me chills and brought a tear to my eye. OK, so it's one of my all-time favorites, but man, that guy sure can sing it!

3 Comments:

At 11/2/06 01:48, Blogger Linda said...

You know, I LOVE Pavarotti's version of Nessun Dorma, but the best I ever heard was Aretha Franklin. I was absolutely floored that she had that range and quality in her voice. If you ever get a chance to hear it, take a listen.
By the way, I got to see the Ultra Sound of your new "Niece" last week. Ten weeks until she's due, and she already has chubby cheeks. I am making her blessing dress, and Sabra said, "Mom, I think you'd better skip newborn, and go right for 13-18 pounds!" I hope this means that she'll have no trouble holding her own with her two big brothers!

 
At 15/2/06 17:10, Blogger JODSTER said...

Who are you going to be rooting for though? US or France?

 
At 15/2/06 18:37, Blogger croust said...

Let me respond to Jodster's comment by saying one thing: NBC's coverage of the Olympics always drives me nuts. After moving to Michigan I tended to watch the Olympics on CBC out of Toronto. Here, France Télévisions are doing an even better job of coverage than CBC!

I really enjoying seeing the full breadth of the competition, not just the Americans and the five medal contenders in each event. While the commentators are thrilled when France wins, they just really enjoy seeing good, balanced competition. I can't describe to you how excited they were about the men's downhill skiing (which an underdog Frenchman won, shocking everyone here and in Torino); but they were just as excited with Ligety's surprise win in the men's alpine combined.

So, who am I cheering for? Who cares, at least I get to enjoy the Olympics as an international sporting event, rather than as a giant human-interest story about the American athletes.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home